Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
- Review the agenda priorities of the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations.
- Select an issue related to healthcare that was addressed by each of the last three U.S. presidential administrations.
- Reflect on the focus of their respective agendas, including the allocation of financial resources for addressing the healthcare issue you selected.
- Consider how you would communicate the importance of a healthcare issue to a legislator/policymaker or a member of their staff for inclusion on an agenda. Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid
Use the Agenda Comparison Grid Template found in the Learning Resources and complete the Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid based on the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations and their agendas related to the public health concern you selected. Be sure to address the following:
- Identify and provide a brief description of the population health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
- Describe the administrative agenda focus related to the issue you selected. Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
- Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
- Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis
Using the information you recorded in Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid on the template, complete the Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis portion of the template, by addressing the following:
- Which administrative agency would most likely be responsible for helping you address the healthcare issue you selected?
- How do you think your selected healthcare issue might get on the agenda for the current and two previous presidents? How does it stay there?
- Who would you choose to be the entrepreneur/ champion/sponsor of the healthcare issue you selected for the current and two previous presidents? Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Based on the feedback that you received from your colleagues in the Discussion, revise Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid and Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis.
Then, using the information recorded on the template in Parts 1 and 2, develop a 1-page Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief that you could use to communicate with a policymaker/legislator or a member of their staff for this healthcare issue. You can use Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to create your Fact Sheet or Talking Point Brief. Be sure to address the following:
- Summarize why this healthcare issue is important and should be included in the agenda for legislation.
- Justify the role of the nurse in agenda setting for healthcare issues. Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Consumptions of heroin and opium have been the main concern in the United States of America as there has been a massive increase in the usage of these hard drugs among the patients. The population concern of the government is to decrease the consumption of tobacco, alcohol as well as a decrease in smoking so as to positively affect healthcare. This is aimed to increase the healthy diet so as to improve the healthcare conditions of the patients (Hook, 2018).
Some of the factors that may contribute to the consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and smoking among the patients may be as parental difficulties and social problems that result in the use of these drugs. There emotional problems may also influence one to start using these drugs and substances. Peer pressure among the youths also has a large impact on the youths who uses these drugs and substances. Addiction has been the major factor that is proving so hard for the patients to quit the use of this substance abuse. Some of the cultural and social factors put a lot of patients at a greater risk as poverty and lack of education and unemployment which provides a stressful environment increases the risk (Realuyo, 2019). Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Different presidents have had different agendas in their administration to resolve this problem. The main agenda of the current president (Donald Trump) was to decrease the consumption of tobacco and opium to positively affect healthcare care. This would lead to an increase in the healthy diet as it would improve the healthcare conditions of the patients. There have been little efforts that’s president Trump has put when it comes to this concern, the president has not allocated enough finance and other resources as promised that should be used in tackling this issue, however, the president allocated some funds amounting to around $3billion that was to be used for addiction treatments which is still not sufficient for the United States government (Shekarchizadeh, 2019). Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Just after president Trump took his office, he was hit with drug overdose deaths. The president approached these actions with more talks and little actions as he took minor steps in addressing the issue. However, the president allocated some funds that were to be used for addiction treatments which are still not sufficient for the United States government. This has not been a success as compared to the previous president Barrack Obama and George Bush who put some efforts in escalating the fight against the prescription opioid and heroin epidemics. President Obama and Bush also allocated some financial support and resources which was to be used to treat those who wanted the treatments (Khami, 2019).
The previous agencies would be the best and give enough support in addressing these health care issues. Implementing a law against this health care issue would be the best appropriate way that may be used to keep this agenda on both the current and previous administration as this also would make sure that the agenda stays in motion (Virtanen, 2019). Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Hook, S. (2018). Analysis of Opioid Hospitalizations in Michigan Counties.
Realuyo, C. B. (2019). The New Opium War: A National Emergency. Prism: a Journal of the Center for Complex Operations, 8(1), 132-142.
Shekarchizadeh, H., Khami, M. R., Mohebbi, S. Z., Ekhtiari, H., & Virtanen, J. I. (2019). Oral health status and its determinants among opiate dependents: a cross-sectional study. BMC oral health, 19(1), 5 Agenda Comparison Grid in Healthcare
Also check: Assessing the Ears, Nose and Throat