Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
Conceptual models, theories, and empirical indicators are linked and provide a nursing knowledge system to apply the model or theory to nursing practice, research, and education. Advanced-practice nurses are required to understand the linkages as applied to nursing and translate the components into practice.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center. Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Write a 1,000-1,250 word paper examining how the Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure translates into nursing practice based on one of the middle range theories that has been formulated or derived from your preferred conceptual model of nursing. Translate and apply the selected theory to nursing practice using actual examples. Evaluate the theory using the CTE steps below:
- Evaluation of the conceptual-theoretical-empirical linkages.
- Evaluation of the selected theory.
- Evaluation of the empirical indicators. Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
- Evaluation of research findings.
- Evaluation of the utility and soundness of the practice theory.
The nurse theorist I chose is Patricia Benner “Novice to Expert” nursing theory. As my advanced practice role in a clinical nurse educator. Please follow these instructions and rubic, articles, at least two references. I will upload a few articles.
Since this paper is to be written in the voice of the theorist you must have some material/articles/references written by the theorist. I will upload material/articles/reference that can be used. You can use any references you find. Need to find a bio on her. Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
The textbook we use:
Butts, J. (2018). Philosophies and theories for advanced nursing practice. (3rd ed.) Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 5: “Components and Levels of Abstraction in Nursing Knowledge” Conceptual-Theory-Empirical (C-T-E) structure
- Chapter 6: “Complexity Science and Complex Adaptive Systems”
Please use at least two scholarly resources and use in-text citations in this Discussion. Please be sure to cite your sources. You can use any of the following references or others you find.
Altmann, T. K. (2007). An evaluation of the seminal work of patricia benner: Theory or philosophy? Contemporary Nurse: A Journal for the Australian Nursing Profession, 25(1), 114-23. Retrieved from https://libauth.purdueglobal.edu/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.libauth.purdueglobal.edu/docview/203177087?accountid=34544 Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
Benner, P. (1982, Mar.). From Novice to Expert. The American Journal of Nursing, 82(3). pp 402-407. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/jrsha/Downloads/3%20-%20Benner%20-%20Novice%20to%20Expert-1.pdf
Benner, P. (1984). From novice to expert: Excellence and power in clinical nursing practice. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
Benner, P. (1994). The role of articulation in understanding practice and experience as sources of knowledge in clinical nursing. In J. Tully (Ed.), Philosophy in an age of pluralism: The philosophy of Charles Taylor in question (pp. 136-155). New York: Cambridge University Press.
Benner, P. (2004). Using the Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition to Describe and Interpret Skill Acquisition and Clinical Judgment in Nursing Practice and Education. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 24(3), 188–199. https://doi.org/10.1177/0270467604265061 Conceptual-Theory-Empirical (C-T-E) structure
Dreyfus, S. & Dreyfus, H. (1980, Feb). A Five-Stage Model of the Mental Activities Involved In Directed Skill Acquisition. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235125013_A_Five-Stage_Model_of_the_Mental_Activities_Involved_in_Directed_Skill_Acquisition Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
Fawcett, J. (2015). Evolution of the science of unitary human beings: The conceptual system, theory development, and research and practice methodologies. Visions: The Journal of Rogerian Nursing Science, 21(1), 9-16.
McConnell, J. M. (2015). A Conceptual-Theoretical-Empirical Framework for Self-Forgiveness: Implications for Research and Practice. Basic & Applied Social Psychology, 37(3), 143–164. https://doi.org/10.1080/01973533.2015.1016160 Conceptual – Theoretical – Empirical (CTE) structure
Nursing Theory. (2016). From Novice to Expert. Retrieved from. https://nursing-theory.org/theories-and-models/from-novice-to-expert.php
Pan, J. (2012). The Theory of Multi-level Governance: Conceptual, Empirical, and Normative Challenges – By Simona Piattoni. Political Studies Review, 10(2), 296–297. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-9302.2012.00266_14.x Conceptual-Theory-Empirical (C-T-E) structure
Also check: Case Study: Lifestyle Changes for Weight Loss