Get NURS 6221 Week 6: Performance Management appraisals essay assignment help
NURS 6221 Week 6: Performance Management appraisals essay assignment
NURS 6221: Managing Human Resources | Week 6 essay assignment
A large part of performance management involves conducting and communicating performance appraisals. Performance appraisals are powerful opportunities that allow you to engage and motivate staff. In addition, they help you to build and articulate the expectations and skills required in your setting. Much like strengths-based leadership and the six-step coaching process, performance management and the appraisal process can be effective tools to foster employee growth and to encourage the development of new knowledge.
- Evaluate performance appraisal systems
- Evaluate the impact of a positive discipline on performance management
- Apply the six-step coaching process
- Evaluate coaching best practices
Discussion: Performance Standards and Appraisals essay assignment
Performance appraisals should be timely, thoughtful, consistent, thorough, and free from bias. How can performance appraisal systems be structured to facilitate this type of environment? Effective performance standards and appraisals can promote an open and continuous relationship among the nurse manager, HR professionals, and employees. How might you, as a nurse manager, use performance appraisals and other performance management strategies, such as positive discipline, in your leadership approach?
In this Discussion, you reflect on questions that commonly arise when assessing performance appraisal processes.
- Performance Standards:
- Who creates performance standards, and how are they communicated to employees?
- Are performance standards consistent with quality standards commonly used in the nursing profession?
- Do performance standards align with legal and ethical nursing practice?
- Performance Appraisals:
- How is employee performance (i.e., behaviors, attitudes, abilities, and skills) documented?
- What measures, if any, protect employees from subjectivity?
- Are employees asked to engage in any form of self-evaluation?
- Do colleagues participate in peer evaluations such as 360-degree appraisals?
- Does the performance appraisal process encourage employee development?
- Aside from the written performance measures, what aspects contribute to success or failure in achieving performance improvement?
- Review this week’s media, “Performance Management,” and consider the best practices highlighted by this week’s presenters.
- Reflect on the performance standards and appraisal systems used in your current organization or one with which you are familiar. With the above questions in mind, identify this organization’s strengths and areas for improvement.
- Drawing from ideas presented in this week’s Learning Resources, think of specific ways you might improve your organization’s use of performance standards and/or the performance appraisal process.
- Review the article, “Positive Discipline Reaps Retention.” As a nurse manager, how might you incorporate positive discipline into your performance management approach? What effect–good, bad, or indifferent–do you think it would have on your nursing staff?
By Day 3
Post a description of the performance appraisal system used in your workplace, including how performance standards are created and communicated to employees. Describe the effectiveness of the performance appraisal system by sharing at least two strengths and two areas for improvement. Conclude your posting by explaining how you might incorporate positive discipline into your performance management approach and what impact you think it will have.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
- Share an insight from having read a colleague’s posting, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Expand on a colleague’s posting by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.