Get NURS 6351 Week 2: Complexities of the Role of Nurse Educator essay assignment help
NURS 6351 Week 2: Complexities of the Role of Nurse Educator essay assignment
NURS 6351: Role of the Nurse Educator | Week 2 essay assignment
Nursing is a complex profession. As a nurse, you are familiar with the many different duties you are expected to perform. The role of nurse educator likewise encompasses a range of responsibilities, many of which may not be readily apparent to novice educators.
In the first week of this course, you began preparing for your Practicum as an avenue for professional growth and development. As part of your Practicum, you will also develop and implement a Practicum project. Your project will integrate evidence-based teaching and learning principles into the creation of a practical tool for nurse educators. This week, you consult with your Practicum faculty member and preceptor to identify a focus for your project.
In addition, this week you reflect on the benefits of creating a professional portfolio and give thought to how you can use an electronic portfolio to showcase your achievements in this MSN program. You examine the guidelines for assembling your professional portfolio, which is due in Week 11.
- Analyze a Practicum experience in the context of nursing education*
- Construct a detailed Practicum log*
- Analyze issues, responsibilities, and experiences of teachers and learners in the context of nursing education**
- Evaluate evidence that demonstrates professional growth for inclusion in a professional portfolio***
*The Assignments related to these Learning Objectives are submitted in Week 3.
**The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 9.
***The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 11.
For your Practicum project, you will integrate evidence-based teaching and learning principles into the creation of a practical tool for nurse educators, such as a lesson plan or a scenario for a simulation lab. You will also create a bibliography featuring resources on teaching and learning that pertain to, or support, your Practicum project. You will find the Project Presentation Grading Rubric specific to this assignment in the Course Information area.
The following is the proposed timeline for developing your project:
Week 2: In consultation with your Practicum faculty member and preceptor, identify the focus for your project, possible Practicum project objectives, and activities appropriate for your Practicum Experience. (Your faculty member will schedule a day/time for a three-way phone call this week).
Week 3: Review the scholarly literature and professional competencies to support and justify your project; identify the overarching goal for your project; develop two or three objectives that are specific, measurable, attainable, results-focused, and time-focused, and that integrate higher-order verbs (i.e., Application level and above) from Bloom’s taxonomy.
Week 4: Design your methodology and evaluation.
Weeks 5–9: Continue to develop your Practicum project. When appropriate, begin creating one or more scholarly products (i.e., practical tools for nurse educators, such as a lesson plan or a scenario for a simulation lab). Be sure to integrate evidence-based teaching and learning principles. Also create a bibliography featuring resources on teaching and learning that pertain to, or support, your Practicum project.
Week 10: Begin to prepare your Practicum project presentation*, which you will post in the Week 11 Discussion on or before Day 1 of that week.
Week 11: On or before Day 1, post a copy of your Practicum project presentation to the Discussion forum; submit your finalized presentation by Day 5.
*Your Practicum project presentation will provide an overview of your Practicum project. You will create 1–25 slides using Microsoft PowerPoint. Your presentation will include:
- A cover slide with the following:
- Title of your Practicum project
- Walden University
- Course number
- Your name
(Do not include the names of your Practicum faculty member or preceptor)
- An abstract of the Practicum project topic, goal, objectives, and rationale
- A summary of the Practicum project methodology
- Conclusions and recommendations that incorporate an evaluation of the Practicum project outcomes in terms of utility and potential for impact within your professional specialty and your Practicum organization’s environment
- Examples of scholarly product(s) developed for the Practicum project (you may use screenshots or scans to incorporate these items into your presentation)
- A summary slide that properly synthesizes/concludes the presentation
- List of references (including a minimum of five scholarly resources), properly formatted using APA style
In addition, you will:
- Title each slide to orient the audience.
- Write detailed speaker notes for each slide to complement the slide content. Speaker notes should be clear, in-depth, and function as augmentation of the slide material. These notes should be written with sufficient depth to allow someone else to deliver the presentation.
- Ensure that your PowerPoint reflects graduate-level writing and presentation standards, with professional-looking graphics and appropriate type style.
In total, the time spent on the Practicum project and presentation should account for no more than 24 hours of your total Practicum time. Thus, 48 hours or more should be spent at your Practicum site and/or engaged in Practicum-related activities as identified in the Practicum Manual.
You will share your presentation with your colleagues by posting the final draft of your PowerPoint presentation in the Week 11 Discussion by Day 1. Then, you will submit your finalized presentation by Day 5 of Week 11 to the Instructor.
Assignment 2: Practicum essay assignment
Identifying a Focus for the Practicum Project
This week, you discuss your interests with your Practicum faculty member and preceptor and, together, identify a focus for your Practicum project.
To prepare for the phone call
- Review the information related to the Practicum project in the School of Nursing Practicum Manual. The project should account for no more than 24 hours of your total Practicum time, and must be completedon or before Day 5 of Week 11. Projects that require Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval will be difficult to complete on time; therefore, projects should not include surveys, focus groups, collection of data, or any activities that require IRB approval.
- Identify two or three topics for a Practicum project to discuss with your Practicum faculty member and preceptor. Each of these topics should relate to a specific, significant need at your Practicum setting.
- Consider any questions you may have about Practicum guidelines or what the Practicum project entails. Plan to discuss these questions with your Practicum faculty member and preceptor during your phone call this week.
Time Log and Journal
Continue to log your Practicum Experience during each week of this course.
Journal Entry 1
Instructions for completing Journal Entry 1 are provided in Week 3.
By Day 7 of Week 3
Submit your Practicum Journal document (including your first journal entry).
Assignment 3: The Courage to Teach essay assignment
As we learn more about who we are, we can learn techniques that reveal rather than conceal the personhood from which good teaching comes.
—Palmer, 2017, p. 24
Reflect on your experiences as a nurse and your desire to contribute to the field as a nurse educator. As you read this week’s chapter of The Courage to Teach, explore Palmer’s assertion that understanding the teacher’s inner landscape is critical for assessing and improving teaching and learning experiences. Consider how that resonates with your thoughts and beliefs as a nurse educator.
- Read Chapter I of The Courage to Teach, as indicated in the Learning Resources.
By Day 7 of Week 9
Submit this assignment.
To complete this assignment, you will write a 4- to 5-page paper integrating insights from your reading of and reflection on The Courage to Teach. Paper guidelines are provided in Week 9.
Assignment 4: Professional Portfolio essay assignment
What are the benefits of creating a professional portfolio? How can you use a portfolio to demonstrate your strengths and accomplishments?
According to Jeanne Floyd, PhD, RN, CAE, ANCC Executive Director, “Nurses need to track more professional development information today than ever before” (HealthStream, 2013). Creating and maintaining a digital professional portfolio allows nursing professionals to provide employers and others with documentation quickly and easily.
In this course, you draw from your previous coursework in this Master of Science in Nursing program to develop your professional portfolio. While the assembly and development of your portfolio will be self-paced, it is recommended you work on your portfolio weekly so you may successfully complete this requirement.
Before you begin assembling and developing your portfolio, view the following documents, located in this week’s Learning Resources:
- Student Guide to Creating a Final Professional Portfolio – This document outlines the elements that need to be included in your portfolio and provides instructions for clear and professional formatting.
- Professional Portfolio Assignments – This document outlines all the assignments from previous courses that must be included in your portfolio.
- Professional Portfolio Template – This document provides the structure for assembling your portfolio. It includes the End-of-Program Outcomes Evidence Chart, which allows you to summarize your accomplishments and demonstrate how you met each program outcome. As you use this chart, consider how the learning activities in your courses supported you to meet the Walden University and School of Nursing goals related to service, scholarship, and social change.
By Day 3 of Week 11
Submit your professional portfolio.
Note: If you are unable to locate your work on a previous course assignment, contact Student Support as soon as possible to see if it can be retrieved from the course archives. Once you have assembled your portfolio, you are encouraged to double-check that you have fulfilled all the requirements and carefully proofread the document. Prior to submitting this assignment, you will save your portfolio document as a single PDF file.