Get NURS 6351 Week 5: Diversity of Learners essay assignment help
NURS 6351 Week 5: Diversity of Learners essay assignment
NURS 6351: Role of the Nurse Educator | Week 5 essay assignment
When he was a nursing student, one of George’s instructors had been instrumental in helping him to see how patients’ cultural backgrounds could influence their views on health and illness, and why it was important for him to be aware of his own biases, beliefs, and experiences while caring for others. With this knowledge in mind, he had embraced the inherent dignity of each person through his nursing practice, and has since considered himself to be a self-aware, culturally competent practitioner.
NURS 6351 Week 5: Diversity of Learners essay assignment
Now, many years later and new to his role as a nurse educator, George is encountering questions and concerns he had not expected. The nursing students with whom he works range in age from their early 20s to their mid-50s, and bring with them diverse cultural and linguistic characteristics. While George teaches, some students devote their attention to technological devices, while others frequently interrupt to ask questions and share anecdotes, and still others watch him intently without saying a word. One student has very limited schooling but many years of experience in health care, while another has an advanced degree in a different field but not much firsthand knowledge of nursing and patient care. George could generate a long list of differences he has noticed between himself, his students, and among the group as a whole. His chief concern is his inability to connect with some of his students, despite his best efforts. George wants to make sure that everyone has a positive experience, and that he is able to help his students learn what they need in order to move forward.
This week, you explore diversity in nursing education and the potential impact that educators’ and students’ differing strengths, perspectives, beliefs, and priorities may have on learning. You engage in self-reflection, assessing how your own background may inform your work as a nurse educator, and evaluate strategies for facilitating effective learning experiences for all students.
In addition, you continue to work on core components of this course, including the development of your Practicum project and assembly of your professional portfolio.
- Analyze the influence of personal values, biases, preferences, abilities, and/or experiences on meeting the needs of a diverse group of learners
- Evaluate strategies to meet needs and perspectives of diverse learners
- Evaluate authentic educational opportunities in health care settings*
- Analyze a Practicum Experience in the context of nursing education**
- Construct a detailed Practicum Log**
- Analyze issues, responsibilities, and experiences of teachers and learners in the context of nursing education***
- Evaluate evidence that demonstrates professional growth for inclusion in a professional portfolio****
*The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 11.
**The Assignments related to these Learning Objectives are submitted in Week 7.
***The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 9.
****The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 11.
Discussion: Addressing Diversity to Promote Effective Learning Experiences essay assignment
There never were in the world two opinions alike, no more than two hairs or two grains; the most universal quality is diversity.
—Michel de Montaigne (1533–1592), writer during the French Renaissance
Today’s nursing education settings abound with diversity, creating rich opportunities for all involved to learn from one another. As a nurse educator, you are responsible for cultivating an environment in which the advantages of diversity are leveraged and the obstacles to inclusive learning are successfully addressed.
In this Discussion, you examine the influence of diversity on nursing education, and consider how to meet the needs of learners who bring a wide range of backgrounds, resources, talents, goals, and challenges to teaching and learning experiences. In addition, you devote attention to your own experiences and preferences as a learner, assess potential biases, and evaluate how you can engage in reflective practice.
- Complete the self-assessment presented in the Learning Resources, and reflect on your own values and preferences. If possible, complete one or more tests on the Project Implicit website, and think about how the result(s) and interpretation(s) you receive may relate to potential biases. Note: You are not required to share the results of your assessment; however, this will inform your Discussion posting.
- Review this week’s media, “Diversity and the Impact of Bias,” and reflect on the insights shared by this week’s presenters. How are nurse educators not only addressing diversity in their classrooms, but also helping to prepare future nurse educators to work with diverse groups of students, staff, and patients?
- Think about teaching strategies and the types of learning environments that have been most effective for you as a learner, and how these may differ for other individuals.
- Consider your own strengths and challenges with employing technology to promote learning, and how this could help or hinder your ability to address learning needs.
- Consider the influence of one or more of the following in nursing education:
- Age/generational differences
- Cultural and/or linguistic characteristics/experiences
- Racial and ethnic, gender, socioeconomic, and sexual orientation stereotypes/formative experiences
- Physical and cognitive abilities/disabilities; mental and physical health issues
- Physical appearance
- Identify a situation from the literature or a hypothetical scenario in which you might need to address the needs of learners with differing perspectives, preferences, abilities, and/or experiences. While being cautious not to stereotype, be sure the situation reflects the influence and significance of diversity in contemporary nursing education.
- Evaluate strategies for addressing the needs of various learners. Which strategies would you employ to effectively navigate the situation you have identified, promote a positive experience, and facilitate the achievement of learning outcomes?
By Day 3
Post a description of a situation that reflects the influence and significance of diversity in contemporary nursing education. Share strategies you would use to address differing needs and perspectives to create a positive learning experience for all involved, and explain why you selected these strategies. Explain how your approach to this situation relates to your own values, preferences, experiences, and/or potential biases.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional resources.