Get NURS 6351 Week 6: Addressing Learner Performance Challenges essay assignment help
NURS 6351 Week 6: Addressing Learner Performance Challenges essay assignment
NURS 6351: Role of the Nurse Educator | Week 6 essay assignment
When have you struggled to learn something? What were the circumstances that made the learning experience challenging? Did you have difficulty understanding or remembering the subject matter or instructions? If so, why? Were you uncomfortable in the environment or with the people involved? Were you overburdened or distracted with other matters? How and when did you realize the situation might be problematic? What, if anything, did you or others do to try to improve the situation and create positive results?
At some point in time, everyone has struggled with learning. Likewise, all educators—even those who are highly skilled and experienced—are likely to encounter difficulties identifying early indications of poor performance and/or helping learners to sufficiently improve. Yet, this is one of the most significant responsibilities that you may have as a nurse educator.
This week, you consider how to use formative assessment to identify potential learning problems, and you evaluate strategies for improving performance. You also examine legal and/or ethical considerations that guide an educator’s work in these situations. In addition, you continue to work on core components of this course.
- Analyze formative assessment/evaluation and early indicators as a means to identify struggling learners
- Explain strategies for supporting struggling learners
- Analyze legal and ethical considerations associated with supporting a learner’s performance
- Evaluate authentic educational opportunities in health care settings*
- Analyze a Practicum Experience in the context of nursing education**
- Construct a detailed Practicum Log**
- Analyze issues, responsibilities, and experiences of teachers and learners in the context of nursing education***
- Evaluate evidence that demonstrates professional growth for inclusion in a professional portfolio****
*The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 11.
**The Assignments related to these Learning Objectives are submitted in Week 7.
***The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in Week 9.
****The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is submitted in’ Week 11.
Discussion: Addressing the Needs of Underperforming Learners essay assignment
What does learning look like in a variety of contexts? For instance, how do you know when a nurse in the ICU has learned and can follow a newly established procedure? How do you know when a patient understands discharge instructions and will be able to take medications appropriately at home? In contrast, what are the indications that someone is struggling to learn? And, what can be done to facilitate learning and the achievement of performance standards?
In this Discussion, you consider the value of formative assessment/evaluation to help you identify early indicators that a learner may be experiencing difficulties. You also evaluate strategies to address underperformance and promote improvement. In addition, you assess the ethical and legal considerations that should guide your actions as an educator in such situations.
- Review this week’s media, “Identifying and Managing Learner Performance.” Reflect on the expertise shared by Dr. Terry Valiga. As a nurse educator, which strategies might you use when identifying and supporting struggling learners?
- Review the information in the Learning Resources and conduct additional research to support your understanding of learning challenges, strategies to address such challenges, and legal and ethical concerns and guidelines related to these matters.
- Reflect on what you have read in the literature or experienced firsthand, and recall situations that involve nursing students, RNs, or patients/families struggling with learning or performance. Select one situation to address in this Discussion and consider the following:
- Think about potential indications that might have signified that someone was experiencing a learning challenge. How might a nurse educator have recognized the difficulty the learner was experiencing?
- Consider how a nurse educator might use formative assessment/evaluation to monitor learning and/or performance. How could assessment/evaluation be used to identify indicators of struggle and, ultimately, lead to performance improvement?
- Examine strategies that support struggling learners. If you were the nurse educator in this situation, which strategies would you most likely employ?
- Identify potential ethical and legal concerns associated with your strategies. What considerations should guide your behaviors and interactions as a nurse educator, for instance, in using one or more of these strategies, communicating with the learner, or consulting with authorities or others at your institution?
Note: If you choose an example involving an authentic situation, do not include any identifying characteristics of the individual(s) in your Discussion post.
NURS 6351 Week 6: Addressing Learner Performance Challenges
By Day 3
Post a description of a situation involving a learning challenge (as indicated above). Explain how a nurse educator could use formative assessment/evaluation to monitor learning and/or performance, and how this could help him or her to identify early indicators of learning difficulties. Propose two strategies that a nurse educator could use to support the struggling learner. Explain two potential legal and/or ethical considerations that should guide the nurse educator’s behavior and interactions associated with supporting a learner’s performance.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days by proposing means/resources an educator could utilize to address the situation/issues.