Get NURS 6401: Standards and Standards Development Organizations essay assignment help
NURS 6401 Week 7: Standards and Standards Development Organizations essay assignment
NURS 6401: Informatics in Nursing and Healthcare | Week 7 essay assignment
In the 1970s, when information technologies were just beginning to be utilized across industries, a nurse researcher named Harriett Werley imagined the possibilities that computerized data collection could provide. Through hard work and dedication, Harriet began to inspire others to explore the meaningful ways that data could be aggregated and analyzed. In addition, her efforts to standardize and categorize the many domains of nursing practice ignited nursing organizations to do the same. By the end of her career, Harriet was known to many as the founder of nursing informatics. In fact, she was so highly regarded in the informatics community that when her body began to suffer from osteoporosis, many remarked, “[Harriet], if you sometimes feel a little bent, it is only because so many of us are standing on your shoulders” (Ozbolt, 1997).
This week, you explore the standards and standards development organizations that began with pioneer Harriet Werley.
NURS 6401: Standards and Standards Development Organizations essay assignment
- Analyze standards used in health care settings
- Evaluate standards that apply to documentation and specific nursing roles
- Evaluate the impact standards development organizations have on health care settings
Discussion: Health Data Standards essay assignment
What are health data standards and how do they relate to your role as an informaticist? Health data standards are the agreed upon representations of nursing data. From the coding of medical processes to documentation formats and terminology definitions, health data standards help to align nursing language. Being knowledgeable in health data standards is imperative to the data aggregation and informatics system selection process. It is the informaticist’s responsibility to not only understand the nursing domains of each standard, but also to be educated on the standards development organizations (SDO) that create, maintain, and approve these standards.
In this Discussion, you explore one health data standard of your choosing. For the purposes of this Discussion, do not focus on the standardization of nursing terminologies, as you will examine those in next week’s Discussion.
- Review the health data standards presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
- How does each provide a framework to align the terminologies and data sets used in health care settings?
- Reflect upon your current health care setting.
- Does your setting currently use any of the standards outlined by a specific organization? Why?
- How might standards impact the documentation processes of your setting? Furthermore, which standards might most apply to you in your work as a nurse?
Note: If you are not currently working in a health care setting, select a setting with which you are familiar for this Discussion.
By Day 3
Post a description of the health data standards your setting uses and how these standards impact documentation and your specific nursing role. Explain how standard development organizations impact your health care setting.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence or research.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.