Get NURS 6401 Week 11: The Stewardship of Health Information essay assignment help
NURS 6401 Week 11: The Stewardship of Health Information:Security-Ethics and Unintended Consequences wssay assignment
NURS 6401: Informatics in Nursing and Healthcare | Week 11 essay assignment
In the 1980s, the 5.25-inch floppy disk disrupted the computer market and the sales of 8-inch floppy disks. Seen to be a more affordable and effective innovation, organizations across all industries began to purchase this new option, thus making 8-inch floppy disks virtually obsolete. As time went on, the innovative floppy disks gave way to writable compact discs (CDs). The CDs were eventually replaced by USB flash drives, which were again replaced by cloud computing via the Internet. Even though the floppy disk might still provide a storage solution for some consumers, the majority only see floppy disks as an image in the left-hand corner of a Microsoft application (i.e., the “Save” button).
NURS 6401 Week 11: The Stewardship of Health Information essay assignment
This progression of obsolescence is natural in the field of information technology. What is once considered to be revolutionary soon fades away to a cheaper, smaller, more efficient technology. This technological evolution is also apparent in the field of informatics. Nurse informaticists are not only aware of these evolutions, but they are also working to anticipate the needs of tomorrow’s nurses. HIMMS found that this generation of nurses “want devices that are integrated, voice activated, handheld, use biometrics, provide translation, are portable, are wireless, auto populate, and are ‘smart’” (HIMMS, 2012). These technologies not only must be efficient, they must also be cost effective if they are to replace or “disrupt” the market of technologies that are already readily available.
This week you explore how technological innovations, nicknamed “disruptive,” have the potential to influence worldwide health care.
- Analyze how disruptive technologies and innovations influence health care worldwide
Discussion: Disruptive Technologies and Innovations: Changing Health Care Worldwide essay assignment
Consider the following excerpt from an article in Managed Care:
A disruptive technology, or technological enabler, is a new technology that unexpectedly displaces an established technology, but only if it is accompanied by an innovative business model. The enabler is generally cheaper, simpler, smaller, and frequently more convenient to use. It is initially embraced by the least profitable and usually the poorest customers in a market… Adisruptive innovation is one that brings to market products and services that are much more affordable, and, in the end, much higher in quality. It improves a product or service in ways that the market does not expect, typically by being lower priced or being designed for a different set of consumers.
In health care, there are many new technologies and innovations that can be considered “disruptive” by the definitions outlined above. In this final Discussion, you explore how disruptive technologies and innovations have the potential to transform health care practices worldwide.
- Review Chapter 33, “Informatics Solutions for Emergency Planning and Response,” in the course text.
- Consider how organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) are taking strides to address public health issues worldwide, including emergency planning and response.
- How might disruptive technologies and innovations assist health care organizations in these efforts? Conduct additional research as necessary.
By Day 3
Post an explanation of how disruptive technologies and innovations might contribute to public health efforts worldwide, specifically in areas with disadvantaged populations. Explain how these technologies might also assist emergency planning and response efforts. Support your response with specific examples from the research literature.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.