Get NURS 6431 Week 1: The Evolution of Health Informatics Part 1 essay assignment help
NURS 6431 Week 1: The Evolution of Health Informatics Part 1 essay assignment
NURS 6431: Evaluation Methods for Health Information Technology | Week 1 essay assignment
As a nurse, you are familiar with the work of Louis Pasteur. Early vaccines and the pasteurization of milk are just two of his prominent contributions to the field of health science. What about the accomplishments of the following individuals: Jean Baptiste Dumas, Antoine Jérôme Balard, Charles Chamberland, and Jean-Baptiste Biot? Do their names sound familiar? Although well respected in their time, these individuals’ names and works are not generally known today; however, they all have one thing in common—they were each mentors or associates of Louis Pasteur. With all great scientists and scientific discoveries, other lesser known or even unknown individuals are instrumental in helping achieve major accomplishments and setting the stage for those who followed.NURS 6431 Week 1: The Evolution of Health Informatics Part 1 essay assignment
This week, you are introduced to key pioneers in the field of health informatics, and you explore how their work influences the field today.
- Assess the impact of early work in informatics on the current field of informatics
- Create a flowchart depicting organizational information technology infrastructure*
*The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 11.
Discussion: Foundational Pioneers in Informatics
The smartphone has become an increasingly valuable tool in the field of medicine. Because of the phone’s small size and powerful computing capabilities, doctors, nurses, and researchers use these smartphones in a wide range of areas. For example, smartphones can be used as an electrocardiogram, to perform ultrasound procedures, to track patient progress, and as a decision support tool for generating diagnoses (Ozdalga, Ozdalga & Ahuja, 2012). Like most innovative technologies, the smartphone and its applications are a result of many years of incremental research and development.
In this Discussion, you focus on those who set the stage for the field of informatics today. By Day 1, your Instructor will assign you one of the pioneers in the field of informatics to research.
- Read the articles listed in the Learning Resources for your assigned informatics pioneer.
- Conduct research in the Walden Library or on the Internet to find additional works by or information about the individual.
- Determine his or her area of interest and affiliations in the medical world.
- Reflect on the contributions he or she made to the field of informatics. What most interests you? What most surprises you?
- Consider how these contributions impact the field of informatics today.
- Assess why it is important to be familiar with the foundational documents of nursing informatics.
By Day 4
Post an overview of the individual to whom you were assigned, including his or her principal areas of interest and medical affiliations. Highlight the contributions this individual made to the field of informatics, and explain how these contributions impact the field of informatics today. Comment on the importance of being familiar with the foundational documents of nursing informatics.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days who researched a different pioneer than you did. Describe what you found most compelling about the information on the individuals researched, and explain how you can use this information to better understand the current state of health informatics.