Get NURS 8210 Week 5: Nursing and Health Informatics Ethics and the Law essay assignment help
NURS 8210 Week 5: Nursing and Health Informatics Ethics and the Law essay assignment
NURS 8210: Transforming Nursing and Healthcare Through Technology | Week 5 essay assignment
Even the most technologically adept organizations are susceptible to security breaches. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is an industry leader, known for both its Telehealth system and electronic health records (EHR). As a government entity, the VA has publicly reported unintended security failures. To date, the VA has categorized the following breaches: lost and stolen laptops, employee errors in information sharing, e-mails to the wrong account holders, hackers breaking into databases, and even acts of malicious employees. Despite the VA and other health care organizations’ preventive measures, ethical and legal breaches still pose a very real danger to patients.
This week introduces the need for constant diligence when working with patient information. Through this lens, you examine the ethical codes and laws that govern today’s use of health information technologies.
- Analyze an ethical issue related to HIT that has the potential to create a liability
- Formulate strategies for addressing ethical use of health information technology systems
- Summarize the legal, financial, and ethical issues that may arise as a result of meaningful use legislation
Discussion: Welcome to the Week 5 Discussion area!
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements.
Assignment 1: Week 6 Assignment: Meaningful Use Paper essay assignment
Why are many health care organizations hesitant to adopt electronic health records (EHR) when they have the potential to improve quality, increase access, and reduce costs? Some organizations are concerned with the ethical and legal issues that may arise in daily operations. In 2010, legislators noticed health care’s reluctant transition into full EHR integration, and began to provide financial incentives to those organizations that not only adopt EHRs, but also use them meaningfully to improve quality of patient care. As an advanced practice nurse, it is important to be aware of the challenges, policies, and incentives associated with integrating EHR systems. It is also critical that you understand the concept of “meaningful use” and how it plays out in today’s health care organizations.
In this Assignment, you analyze meaningful use criteria to determine the authentic legal, financial, and ethical issues that may surround it.
- Reflect on the information presented in the Learning Resources, focusing on meaningful use legislation and the “Ethics in Nursing Informatics” section of your course text.
- Investigate the legal, financial, and ethical issues surrounding meaningful use.
- Ask yourself: What are the goals of meaningful use?
NURS 8210 Week 5: Nursing and Health Informatics Ethics and the Law
By Day 7 of Week 6
Write a 4- to 5-page essay in which you:
- Summarize the legal, financial, and ethical issues that may arise as a result of meaningful use legislation.
- Explain how these issues might present barriers to successful implementation within an organization.
- Discuss ways that health care organizations can make the most of their electronic health record investments in light of meaningful use.
- Explain how EHR-related meaningful use legislation is being implemented in your organization.
Assignment 2: Week 9 Assignment: Health Information Technology Project [Major Assessment 5] essay assignment
Continue working on the Health Information Technology Project [Major Assessment 5], assigned in Week 4.
By Day 7 of Week 9
Submit your Assignment.