Get NURS 8400/NURS 8400A/NURS 8400F/NURS 8400M/NURS 8400S/NURS 8400W/NURS 8400C Week 2: Defining a Problem and a Population essay assignment help
NURS 8400/NURS 8400A/NURS 8400F/NURS 8400M/NURS 8400S/NURS 8400W/NURS 8400C Week 2: Defining a Problem and a Population essay assignment
NURS 8400/NURS 8400A/NURS 8400F/NURS 8400M/NURS 8400S/NURS 8400W/NURS 8400C:Design and Evaluation of Programs and Projects | Week 2 essay assignment
“A problem that is inadequately defined is not likely to be solved” (Kettner, Moroney, & Martin, 2008, p. 42).
Continuing on to reframe this statement, the authors of Designing and Managing Programs observe that a well-delineated problem can be a cornerstone for a successful program. Indeed, as noted last week, sound program planning and evaluation begins with analysis of the problem so that all aspects of the program can be aligned to yield the kind of information that will indicate whether the program has been effective at addressing the problem as intended.
This week you consider a health-promotion and disease-prevention issue of national significance, and then hone in on a problem and a target population to focus your program design efforts in this course. You review existing literature, which may be beneficial for identifying and/or learning about your problem and target population. This is the starting point for Assignment 1, the first of four Assignments in this course that ask you to develop a program and related evaluation plan.
In addition, you are encouraged to brainstorm with your colleagues in this week’s Discussion. This collegial collaboration can be a tremendous asset as you continue to work and engage in your Practicum Experience.
- Evaluate the impact of a specific health care-related problem on a population
- Analyze current research literature pertaining to a health care-related problem
Discussion: Identifying a Health Care-Related Problem and a Target Population essay assignment
Take a few minutes to think about the most pressing health-promotion and disease-prevention issues, such as those identified in “Healthy People 2020” and the Institute of Medicine’s Future of Nursing. Which one most calls your attention? Maternal, infant, and child health? Health communication and health information technology? Immunization and infectious diseases?
This course provides a venue for addressing issues such as one of these through the design of a program and associated evaluation. In order to design an effective program though, it is critical to narrow the focus from one of these larger issues to a specific problem and a target population.
This Discussion provides a forum through which you and your colleagues may support each other in first selecting a health-promotion and disease-prevention issue of national significance, and then identifying a problem and a target population to guide your program planning and evaluation efforts in this course.
- Examine the topics presented in “Healthy People 2020” and the Institute of Medicine’s Future of Nursing. Select a health-promotion and disease-prevention issue of national significance that has particular resonance or appeal for you.
- Review literature related to the issue you have selected and, specifically, the problem and target population you may choose to focus on as you move forward with program planning.
- Review this week’s course text readings. What questions or concerns, if any, do you have about how to identify a problem and a target population for program planning and evaluation?
Note: For Assignment 1, you need to identify a health care–related problem and a target population to guide program planning as you move forward in the course. If you have not already done so, read the instructions for Assignment 1 (provided this week) as your work on this Discussion to guide your development of that assignment.
By Day 3
Post a cohesive scholarly response that addresses the following:
- Share the national health-promotion and disease-prevention issue you have selected. Describe the problem and target population you will most likely choose for Assignment 1, as you have considered it thus far.
- Provide your evaluation of the impact of the problem on population health using citations from existing literature.
- Pose any questions or concerns you have related to your problem and target population, your literature review, and/or other issues related to designing and evaluating programs. Ask your colleagues for support in addressing these questions or concerns.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to two of your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Offer and support an alternative perspective, using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
- Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.