Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
“I am personally convinced that one person can be a change catalyst, a ‘transformer’ in any situation, any organization. Such an individual is yeast that can leaven an entire loaf. It requires vision, initiative, patience, respect, persistence, courage, and faith to be a transforming leader” (Covey, 2009, p. 287).
Your practicum experiences in NURS 8400 and NURS 8410 have provided opportunities to gain knowledge, perspective, and skills that bolster your specialty area practice. They have laid a foundation for reflecting on your own strengths and challenges as a nurse leader in a dynamic workplace. Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
In this course, you continue to engage in your practicum experience, with specific attention to systems-related issues that contribute to challenges at the aggregate level, the change process, and leadership. This Discussion serves as a springboard for the practicum assignment you are to develop this week. Be sure to view and consider the instructions for this week’s practicum assignment in preparation for the Discussion.
- Reflect on your practicum experiences in NURS 8400 and NURS 8410. Drawing on your knowledge of systems thinking, what problems have you noticed in your practicum setting that may be related to systems issues? Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
- How would you outline a viable approach to planning and implementing change to address a systems-related change? What are the essential steps and focal points from beginning to end? What is the role of leadership when it comes to change efforts? Think about the information presented in the Learning Resources, and consider insights you have gained that may be useful as you explore the process of intentional change. Conduct additional research using current literature to further your analysis.
- Assess the professional growth (including leadership development) you have attained through your practicum experiences during previous courses in the DNP program.
- Begin to develop your plan for the practicum, including three learning objectives. Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
By tomorrow Tuesday 2/26 6 pm write a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 3 references (see list or required readings below). Include the level one headers as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Describe key aspects of your suggested approach to planning for and implementing change. What are two or three essential steps or strategies that deserve particular attention as you strive to successfully translate evidence into practice? Provide your rationale.
2) Assess the influence of your practicum experiences on your professional growth. Identify areas for improvement to focus on during this course. Given what you have learned in previous courses and through your professional experiences, what questions or concerns do you have regarding how to identify and assess systems-related issues, as well as how to plan for and implement change?
3) Summarize your planned practicum experiences and how you expect these experiences to advance your professional skills. Support your choices with documented evidence from the AACN Essentials, professional standards, and specialty guidelines (see attached file on “The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice” ESSENTIAL IV). Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terharr, M. F. (2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
· Review Chapter 3, “Change Theory and Models: Framework for Translation”
As you review this chapter (assigned in a previous course), consider the foundational information about change. Also, pay attention to the frameworks and processes described, as they will be valuable as you proceed through this course. What insights arise regarding how you might be able to guide the implementation of change? Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/publications/position/DNPEssentials.pdf (see attached file)
Use the information in this report to guide the formulation of goals for your practicum experience.
Bleich, M. R. (2011). IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health, 34(3), 169-170. doi:10.1002/nur.20433 (see attached file)
IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health: milestones and challenges in expanding nursing science. Research in Nursing & Health by Bleich, M. R., in Research in Nursing & Health, Vol. 34/Issue 3. Copyright 2011 by John Wiley & Sons – Journals. Reprinted by permission of John Wiley & Sons – Journals via the Copyright Clearance Center. Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
Pritham, U. P. (2016). Assessing DNP impact using program evaluations to capture healthcare system change. The Nurse Practitioner, (4), 44.
Kotter, J. P. (2007). Leading change: Why transformation efforts fail. Harvard Business Review, 85(1), 96-103. Retrieved from https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/pl/76758028/76758030/42e82c2469b7f33387aa79dc5736bb1f
In this foundational reading, Dr. John Kotter discusses errors commonly made as organizations undergo change, and he recommends steps leaders can take to help avoid them (see attached file).
Moriber, N. A., Wallace-Kazer, M., Shea, J., Grossman, S., Wheeler, K., & Conelius, J. (2014). Transforming Doctoral Education Through the Clinical Electronic Portfolio. Nurse Educator, 39(5), 221-226. doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000053
Murphy, M. P., Staffileno, B. A., & Carlson, E. (2015). Original Article: Collaboration Among DNP- and PhD-Prepared Nurses: Opportunity to Drive Positive Change. Journal of Professional Nursing,31388-394. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2015.03.001 Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
Sherrod, B., & Goda, T. (2016). DNP-Prepared leaders guide healthcare system change. Nursing Management, (9). 13.
Osters, S., & Tiu, F. S. (n.d.). Writing measurable learning outcomes. Retrieved from http://www.gavilan.edu/research/spd/Writing-Measurable-Learning-Outcomes.pdf (see attached file) Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth